Browse Items (25 total)

LIII.jpg
Following the other parts of the decorations, in which for the others it can be seen what agreement should have reigned throughout the entire mass.

LIV.jpg
In the old church of San Sabina, built according to some in 425 under Pope Celestine in that place where the saint has his father’s house, but not consecrated shortly after the pontificate of Sisto III., exists this monument. It is located in the…

LIX.jpg
This a gift made by William Periera to the church of S. Maria del Popolo in 1447, and the work is really commendable for the beauty of its decorations and for the kindness of its design. One day it will have been in the church since the noble…

LV.jpg
This sculpture along with the others that we will examine in the following table were once inside the interior of the church of S. Maria Maggiore, until they were removed with many other works by the order of Pope Benedict XIV which he restored so…

LVI.jpg
More polite yet, much more beautifully decorated, though perhaps by only one hand, is this bas-relief placed in comparison with the others that we examined in the previous table. It is an exquisite and careful work so that it is the a delight to see…

LVII.jpg
The interior of the church of Santa Maria del Popolo changed shape at the time of Bernini, who was an architect invited to direct its work. He among many beautiful things that (vi operò) knew not to deserve universal approval in substituting…

LVIII.jpg
Everyone will want to know that you have added to this table detail of the altar described above. When we met in works really stunning, and of which it is useful to know what the right proportions of the moldings and the development of the ornamental…

LX.jpg
Where there stands the church of S. Pietro in Vincula willed to pious tradition have made wall the first church in Rome, the Prince of the Apostles, and dedicated to SS. Savior. However this may be that, it is certain that the fire of Nero razed the…

LXI.jpg
To enter the Cloister of S. Augustine, if a tired hand turns, the show is facing four monuments, the penultimate of which we will describe below (Table LXIII.) And the last is dedicated to the memory of Constance Piccolomini, whose son speaks very…

LXII.jpg
Entering the church of S. Marcello, in the third chapel on the right hand you see the altar that we give in this table. The chapel contains, provided in 1562 by Monsignor Griffins and finished in ornate in 1607 by Cav. John Matthew his kinsman, since…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2